Monday, September 19, 2011

Guest Blogger Amber: Disney World at Christmas!

Hi Everyone, my name is Amber and I am today's guest blogger for Miss Lindsey, while she is away at the happiest place on earth. Lindsey is actually a real life friend and not just on the blogger world. We met our freshman year of college and have become great friends! She asked me to blog about my favorite things at Disney World.

I feel with every ounce in my body that Disney World really is the happiest place on earth and every time I visit I am beyond excited. I am a Disney Vacation Club member, so I have been to DW more times than I can count. We (my family) joined DVC when I was 5 years old and since then I have been going anywhere from 1 – 3 times each year. I love everything about DW and it’s very difficult to pick just a few of my favorite things. I decided my favorite time of the year in Disney is at Christmas, so I am going to blog about my favorite things at Christmas in Disney World.

One of my favorite things to do is walk down Main Street in Magic Kingdom. (During any time of the year, but especially at Christmas) When I walk under the train station, cross over the trolley tracks and make my way to Main St USA, there is nothing better than seeing the beautiful Cinderella Castle in the distance. I believe at Christmas time, the castle looks even more magical. There is nothing quite like Christmas lights, wreaths, ribbons, and garland decorating the street as you gaze at Cinderella Castle lit up with millions of sparkling lights.



If you have never experienced Mickey’s Christmas Party, you are seriously missing out! The park closes at 6pm for everyone except the Christmas party attendees. The night is filled with riding rides (with a shorter wait time), a special parade that even Santa Clause joins in on, dance parties with Mickey’s friends, a firework show, and complimentary hot chocolate and cookies. Which technically you are paying for that “complimentary hot chocolate and cookies” because the ticket costs extra, so I say take full advantage and hit up each place that is offering the hot chocolate and cookies!



Next on my favorite list are the Christmas trees. I love looking at all the Christmas trees in Animal Kingdom. They are decorated so cute and a must see. They are located near the Lion King show and the characters have a meet and greet near their tree.


This is Minnie’s tree. I love the red and white polka dots! I would love to take this tree home with me! There are many many many different trees all through out Disney World from the parks to the hotels, but my favorites were in the Animal Kingdown park. Unfortunately, the best picture I have is the Minnie tree only. I have many pictures, but people standing in the picture cover up most of the decorations.

Hollywood Studios is next on my list. The Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights is a must see! The lights dance every 10 minutes to Christmas music. It’s just magnificent to see! The lights are gorgeous and there is snow falling on the ground all around you.


At Epcot, my favorite thing is the topiary decorations. All the characters don a Santa hat and you can find them all over the park.


Another special thing is that many of the characters change outfits for Christmas. It’s neat to see their winter wardrobe for a change because most of the time they keep their cooler clothes on for that hot Florida weather. This is a picture of me with my friend, Ashlea, and her daughter, Madison, with Mickey Mouse!


Ok, I think I’ll end on the weather. I absolutely love going to Disney World and dressing in jeans and a jacket. I love not sweating in lines, walking around, and in all my pictures. When I was there Florida had an actual cold spell. Many days the temperature never went above 35 degrees and with the wind chill it was in the twenties. For the South, that’s COLD. At nighttime, it was even colder. Many days I wore a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and my North Face fleece and wind jacket, plus a scarf, ear band, and gloves. For me, I loved it. I’d rather bundle up than sweat in shorts and shirts. This was record cold for Florida and I know others who went a week after me did not have to dress this warmly. Towards the end of the week it warmed up some and I was comfortable in just a sweatshirt. You never know what the weather will be like in Florida; so keep that in mind when you pack! And let me just tell you, you haven’t rode Splash Mountain till you ride it in 32-degree weather. ;]


Disney World is special no matter when you go, but for me, my favorite time is Christmas time. The decorations make it even more magical and I highly recommend experiencing it at least once in your lifetime. I went the second week in December and the crowds were great. I’m not sure what it would be like the closer you get to Christmas, but at least in the winter you don’t have to wait in a hot line in the boiling sun! Christmas is my favorite time of the year and when you add a Disney World vacation to it, it’s my all time favorite.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Mickey's Christmas Party looks amazeballs! I can only imagine. So jealous Lindsey is there right now!

Jessica said...

I love Christmastime at Disneyland! We don't have a Mickey's Christmas Party here but the Christmas parade is one of my favorite things to do. The Christmas fireworks are the best especially when it "snows" on Main Street afterwards!

Post a Comment