Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Lenten Promise

So it's no secret around these parts that I am Catholic. Lent was a very big deal to me growing up (still is but was especially emphasized)! I went to a Catholic school and it was a part of my faith and daily curriculum during the Lenten season.


To me Lent is a season of fasting and prayer. No meat on Fridays was strictly enforced in my house. As an adult, I admit -- very hard to remember to do this. I have so many memories from growing up and going to eat at The Fish Market in Birmingham on Friday nights with my mom and stepdad or making my Dad and stepmom cater to my needs with a cheese pizza. 


I have given up so many things over the years. Some have been very major and some not so big! As a child, I never really gave up anything too big. But as I grew older and understood the importance of fasting it became more evident that I really did need to give up things that were measurable and were things that I enjoyed. I have given up drinking soft drinks many times (caffeine is my vice!) and I even gave up caffeine once, too (no sweet tea or coffee). I have given up meat (yes, ALL meat) for 40 days and gave up ALL sweets, too. Oh and did I mention one of my most major ones was giving up beer! It was a strug for sure as this was during college.


This year I am going to be on a cruise during lent and have had a struggle figuring out what to give up. I know I will want to have sweets on the cruise, eat plenty of meat and fish, drink a toddy, etc. I often find it really hard to give up non-tangible things like "cussing" or "gossiping" because it's really hard to control those things. What is considered a cuss word? What's considered gossiping? What happens if you catch yourself doing it? I feel like giving up a tangible good is easier to enforce!


I have decided to give up ALL FAST FOOD! 


No Zaxby's!


No Milo's!



And dare I say it, NO CHICK-FIL-A! 

Cheers to having a healthier body, mind and spirit!

What are YOU giving up for Lent?

10 comments:

Lindsay // Vineyard Loveknots said...

Giving up cheese. Fast Food would be really hard for me too!

Whitney said...

I am OBSESSED with Zaxbys. I used to eat it like once a week in college, and when I worked there in high school I dare say... 4 times a week at least... Props to you for giving up fast food! I know you'll be strong and resist the temptation!

Heather said...

That's a good one. I know you were struggling with something to give up this year and I think you found a good one. I am giving up shopping and candy this year. Both going to be struggles but worth it

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you girl - I gave up Chick fil A, bacon, and sweet tea.

Portuguese Prepster said...

o my goodness good luck girl! I'm giving up diet coke and candy!

Cori H. said...

OK, that picture of the Milo's cheeseburger is just torture! I could kill somebody for one! That is one of the things I miss the most about living in Alabama. I think that's a pretty good thing to give up for Lent. I've never really given anything up for 40 days. I need more willpower!

Royar said...

You got this girl. I'm giving up Diet Coke! Good luck! XO

Anonymous said...

No Milo's....bless your heart! Seriously though, good for you! Have a great time on your cruise! :)

Seashells and Southern Belles said...

bless your heart... good luck on the no fast food fries. man... that is some dedication!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you go to Holy Spirit in Tuscaloosa??

Post a Comment