Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Boom Boom

This past week I went on down to the good ole' Boom Boom a.k.a. Mardi Gras in Mobile!


Mardi Gras is a sacred holiday that Catholics, Mobilians and New Orleans Natives all hold near and dear. It's the weeks of non-stop, party til you drop partying that lead up to the 40 days of Lent. Mardi Gras (which New Orleans is known for) actually originated in Mobile, Alabama with a reveler named Joe Cain. But, that's another story for another day. 


Mardi Gras' roots run deep in the Port City and the good times never stop rolling when Mardi Gras is in the air. Whether it's going to your favorite parade or attending a Mardi Gras Society's Ball... you are sure to have a good time! 


I've been going to Mardi Gras balls since I was in college. This past weekend was no exception. We kicked off the weekend on Thursday night with the Mystic Striper's Society Ball and then ended the weekend right on Friday night with the Crewe of Columbus Ball. 


Although it is known for beads and the infamous moon pie, Mardi Gras means so much more than a throw you catch at the parade. 


I could tell you tons of stories from this year and past years too and I could talk for days on end about the history of this merry holiday (I did several research projects on it in college) but I think the pictures will do it justice. The men put on their costume de rigueur and the ladies wear floor length gowns and party all night in the heart of downtown.









Hope you all had a very happy Fat Tuesday! Until next Carnival....



5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Looking HOT miss Lindsey Leigh!!!

Shannon Marie said...

Your dress is amazing! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a killer time!!

Heather said...

Oh my looks like it was so much fun. Always wanted to go to a ball where I get to dress up. You looked fabulous. Where is your dress from? Just perfect for the occasion

Lindsey said...

You look absolutely gorgeous..I love your dress! Is it sad to admit that I had no clue that Mardi Gras didn't originate in New Orleans?

Post a Comment